My husband (okay, and I) love chocolate cake, but he isn’t a big fan of any kind of icing. I’ve tried several recipes without icing them, but they usually wind up dry.
This recipe, however, makes a light, fluffy, but deeply satisfying cake that doesn’t require icing at all. A light dusting of powdered sugar would do it, if that’s what you’re into. I love that it’s a doctored cake mix, no shame in that! I think I’ve made 4 of them in the last week since finding the recipe, and it’s been a crowd pleaser every time.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
- 1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup bundt pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate If desired, dust the cake with powdered sugar.